I LOVE pesto! Not only is it super healthy, but it's super easy to make. Another reason I love pesto is because it allows you to be creative. You don't only have to use basil, you can add spinach, sun dried tomatoes, watercress, cilantro, arugula - it leaves you tons of room to experiment! Of course, another bonus is that pesto is made with RAW, fresh ingredients and that means you are getting the full nutritional benefits of these ingredients.
I don't really measure when I'm cooking, but I've done my best to get you approximate measurements for this awesome spinach-pesto. Use as a spread, dip, or add to your favourite dish.
Print recipe HERE.
- 2 cups basil
- 2 cups spinach
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (or more, if you prefer a thinner pesto)
- 2 Tbsp mix of hemp hearts, sprouted buckwheat and unhulled sesame (optional)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Throw everything in a blender or food processor (I used my NutriBullet) and blend until smooth.
- If you are making this sauce ahead to refrigerate for later, be sure to add some extra olive oil on the top layer to help keep fresh in fridge.